Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Bar-Kays - Holy Ghost


This morning as I was getting ready to not go for a run, I was looking forward to jamming out at turtle speed to the latest Holy Ghost disc (released in May 2010 on DFA, and is highly recommended). Instead I stumbled across this jam on a Memphis Soul playlist I have stored on my iPod. All I can say is that sometimes the gods shine on you.
In addition to not running, I was hoping the DFA beats would get me motivated for work and whatever fresh hell awaited the day. Nothing James Murphy's crew of euro centric house beat stealing acolytes were spinning could have made the ass drop and heart soar like this band of funk brothers did.
Originally the Bar-Kays were a session band for Stax, playing with Otis Redding and Isaac Hayes. They were able to score a couple of hits in the late '60s (Soul Finger) and 70's (Son of Shaft), but this 8 minute workout is probably their crowning acheivement.
On a side note, original bass player James Alexander is the father of Jazze Pha who in addition to being famous for dropping "Ladies and Gentlemen" on numerous tracks, has also produced for 2Pac, Ciara, Bun-B, Usher and many others.

No comments:

Post a Comment