Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Robbie Robertson - Somewhere Down the Crazy River


I was pleasantly surprised when this track recently popped up on my iPod while letting it shuffle. The track is solid all the way around and immediately brings to mind other Daniel Lanois produced tracks of that era (1987), especially his work with Dylan and U2.

On a more nostalgic note, I remember buying this cassette and having no idea who Robbie Robertson was. Even more ironic, I bought this cassette at the same time as a cassette of Dylan & The Band's live "Before the Flood" album. Specifically I purchased the Dylan tape after having just seen Guns N' Roses live where they closed with "Knockin' on Heaven's Door", and I was desperate to find a live version of that track. Little did I know at the time that Robertson was playing on that tape.

Levon Helm excluded, I still maintain that The Band is the best Canadian band ever. Period. Sorry Triumph and Loverboy fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment