Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Whitest Chick in America - Taylor Swift

I am going to have to go ahead and drop the title of "Whitest Chick in America" on Taylor Swift. That is not necessarily a slam by the way. As much as I do not want my blog card pulled, or my credibility shat on, I have to admit I am a little bit of a fan of the tear stained 19 year old. In a culture where the media is quick to nut all over vapid talent still births like Miley Cyrus, it is a little refreshing to see someone so young knock 'em out of the park while writing their own songs, playing in a genre geared for grandparents and bible thumpers and going platinum on an indie label all at the same time. Plus "Love Story" was one of the best tracks of 2008.

On the CMT series Crossroads, the gimmick is to take a rock act and have them interchange songs with a country artist. Sometimes this is brilliant, like the Ryan Adams & Elton John episode, or the Lucinda Williams and Elvis Costello one. Other times it can backfire uglier than a Pontiac Lemans running on leaded like the shitstorm combo of Keith Urban and John Fogerty or the inexplicable Little Big Town (the country equivalent of Christoper Cross) and Lindsey Buckingham.

But I digress. The reason I am naming her the "Whitest Chick in America" is based on her performance of "Pour Some Sugar on Me" with Def Leppard. Call me crazy, but if you are going to be performing a song that budding strippers cut their teeth on, you might want to come with some moves a little hotter than Bender from Futurama. Seriously, Rick Allen's left arm has more life in it than Swift's hips. Do I have time for one more? It looks like she learned how to dance from Mick Mars. Oh yeah, it also sounds like shit.

Anyway, watch and cringe:

No comments:

Post a Comment